Saturday, October 28, 2006

Another update

So, it's quarter past eleven on a Saturday, and I'm in my office. I've decided I'm not going to get any more work done on my thesis tonight, so I'll head home soon. Tomorrow, I'll try some more.

This is what comes from being addicted to web browsing and various other distractions. I've had to spend the weekend trying to do the work I should have done in the week...

So, time for an update:

Last Sunday we got together and watched the Grand Prix. Not such a good day for Schumi, but at least Ferrari pulled off a win! And for most of us old die-hard F1 fans, it was our first race we'd seen this season, mostly thanks to SABC getting rid of its live transmissions. However, the Grand Prix was eclipsed by the big news: Marius and Janette (well, mostly Janette, I guess) are expecting twins!!! It seems to me they were just waiting for Janette to finish qualifying before starting a family, and with that hurdle passed in June, things are going great for them. We've still got to go visit, but that should hopefully happen soon.

Earlier on in the day, before the F1, we had a lekka brunch at Tiger's mountain villa (he rents a small flat with an awesome view and a wonderful garden on the Jonkershoek road). It was nice getting together with friends, and one of the guys there was my cousin, James (who's dating Tiger's sister). We discussed his Uncle Joe's health - he was suffering from cancer. Ironically, on Tuesday my mom SMS'ed me to let me know that Uncle Joe had passed away.

Hugo was also at the brunch, and he gave me some more reading material - so my current read is Brian MacLaren and Tony Campolo's team effort, "Adventures in Missing the Point". Quite good stuff, so far.

And on Tuesday I was left home alone.

Dalene flew off to Malta for a week, where she's at some conference. Hopefully, not just conferencing, but swimming in the Mediterranean, and being a bit touristy and all that as well. I'll find out on Monday, when she gets back.

After dropping her at the airport, I bummed around and did some thesis work at her folk's place, before heading through to Cape Town to watch the first game of the Western Cape Meijin title match, between Konrad and Lloyd. Konrad won a convincing victory, but it was a good experience sitting and discussing the game with Andrew while he recorded it.

Also during the week, I found out I had won a quiz on a Go newsletter. The prize was a 6-month subscription to a online go database. I don't know how useful it will be, though, but hopefully, I can get some value out of it. In any case, I enter the quizzes for the challenge, so the prize is just a bonus.

And this week, our Go clocks arrived from America. It's been a long wait, but the clocks look cool - I tried one out on Thursday at the club (played 2 games on the clock), and they're not as robust as BHB and the like, but they seem adequate, given the price.

And the last thing that happened this week go-related, was that I've been appointed the rank administrator of South African Go. So now people have to ask me if they want people's ranks changed (except for the regular automatic promotions and demotions). Yay! more admin. But it shouldn't be much effort, anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home